Thursday, September 13, 2007

If You're Reading This...

I LOVE music!! I wish I could say that God gave me the gift of a great voice, or the natural ability to pick up an instrument and make it sound like it was actually designed to... but I really, really can't. What I was given, was a true appreciation for those that God DID give that gift to. I use music to make me happy when I'm sad, motivate me when I'm lazy, calm me down when I'm stressed - It's also become my most favorite tool in worship! Which is why I've been spending almost all of my radio time on KCMS. I also have a cruddy commute and it's really hard to scream at someone from my car after they cut me off while listening to "Jesus music". Anyway, It really doesn't matter the genre - give me a song with well written lyrics and talented musicians playing their instruments and I'm all over it.

So I switched the channel back to my good ole' country station yesterday for a few minutes and heard Tim McGraw's new song, If You're Reading This. (Now typically I would not be so behind on hearing a new Tim or Faith song, but it's been a crazy summer.) As I'm listening to this song I realize that tears are just streaming down my face! I can only imagine what I looked like to my fellow travelers sitting on the 405 'parking lot', usually known as the freeway. I was just being a big baby! Just judging from my reaction now - If that song had come out while Ben was in Iraq, I'd have been a complete wreck!

I was telling Ben about it last night and he said that he knew a few guys that wrote those letters and left them in their rooms 'just in case'. None of the guys in his unit back at the base - but when he transferred to out EOD and was out of the wire all the time, he was with more and more people that had a higher risk of not making it back. I asked him if he wrote one and he said there was no way! It wasn't the mentality he needed to have. To put it in Ben's words: "Screw you guys! Write your letters - but I'm going home!"
We also talked about how he feels like he's in more danger now every night he goes to work, than he was for a lot of the time in Iraq... Thanks Babe! Doesn't exactly make me feel better - but I know it too - probably why I get emotional over this song.

Well here it is... It's a beautiful song - but if you're at all emotionally connected to someone in this war - get a tissue :)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a powerful song. Yeah tissues are good for this.


Love Aunt Teresa