Friday, May 9, 2008

Best hit of the night!

Ben and I went to the M's games last night. The managing partner at my firm has season tickets: 4 seats in 2 seperate Terrace Club sections and then another set of 4, 10 rows back behind the plate. Ben prefers the home plate seats, and I think I do overall too. (You just feel so much cooler though in the Terrace Club! And the seats have a little bit of a cushion.) So I chose last night's game for our tickets this year, not because when I was looking at the schedule 7 weeks ago, I thought "We can't suck worse than the Rangers this year"... Okay well maybe that's what I was thinking. It was one of the few games that I knew we could make work with Ben's schedule and yeah, I thought we's had a better shot at beating Texas than the other options. Wrong! I had hope when we won earlier in the week, then the next night Texas slaughtered us 10-1, so I was brought back to reality and wasn't expecting a whole lot.
We got to Seattle, and made our way into a bar a few blocks from the field thinking we could grab a bite before the game. We ordered 2 sodas and 2 sandwiches. Sodas took a few minutes but it was a little busy being a sports bar on game night, no big deal. 20 minutes later the waitress (Whom I'm certain all the latest blond jokes were created after) came back and asked if we were ready to order... HUH? When informed her that she already took it, she giggled and walked away. 15 mintues later she did it again... and then again. After an hour and 4 visits to 'take our order' Ben was done and the game was about to start. He said something smart at her - which I'm certain she didn't understand, paid for our sodas and we left. After walking outside in the chilled wind Ben quickly remembered his coat was still on the bed. I insisted we find him something and thankfully at a little fan shop outside the field there was a 50% off sign - Jackpot! We found him the least 'FANatical' Mariner coat, got some kettlecorn and we were in business.
Inside the field we got our $14 (for what amounted to be 2 slices) Cheese pizza and then we joined my coworker and her fiance at our killer seats. Hernandez was our opener - he's younger than me, and in his first half of his first season he rocked - then his ego got HUGE and now he's a bit of a head case, 4 runs and 2 beaned batters later (we were all waiting for the Rangers to charge and beat the tar out of him - the first hit might have been an accident, but he certainly didn't mask the second hit well and got his warning from 'Blue') I actual was hoping Laird would charge and take him out of the game but no such luck... The next M's at bat, Richie comes up and well, this was the best part of the whole game!

So I had a video up but YouTube keeps pulling it - A pitch sailed right at eye level of Sexson (at 6'7'') - Which is a BIG NO NO! Richie charged the mound, bounced his batting helmet off the guys back and got one good blow into the cowering pitcher before Laird (catcher) tackled him from behind... Benches cleared and Ibanez and Lopez pulled Sexson out from under a pile of Rangers before he got hurt. We all cheered it on like a bunch of blood thirsty cannibals... It was great!

No comments: