Thursday, June 19, 2008

Soda, Pop or Coke?

Just peaked my interest... I actually say 'soda' and now that I think of it - I have no idea why! Neither of my parents do, nor does anyone else in my family!

I do remember going to Florida with my Mom and Tiffany and ordering a "coke" and then the waitress asked me what kind I wanted, so I said coke again and she nodded. Then she went to Tiffany, who also asked for a coke and the waitress did the exact same thing to her. Tiffany gave her the did you not clean your ears this morning look. We were finally filled in by a couple at a neighboring table who got a kick out of us, that 'coke' meant soda/pop.

6 comments:

Scott, Teresa and Gabby said...

Very interesting! When we went to Florida Scott had a similar experience. The map is interesting.

~The White family~ said...

Interesting! I remember my family calling it Soda but because we all drink either coke or diet coke we call it just coke now...hmmm!

Chris Kaatz said...

Very cool. I call it "diet". When asked what I want to drink, I say a "diet". I am my own little demographic. I recall from all my trips to Atlanta that everything's a "coke".

Jon & Jen said...

Hmmm, that's kind of funny. I say "soda" most the time too! Personally, I think it sounds better than "pop".

Gramma Carol said...

"Coke" or "Pop" for me, depending on the circumstances. It was pop when I was growing up. And "Pop" was Pepsi. But since I'm a Diet Coke addict now, it has changed to "Coke".

Love the map and interesting comments.

Gecko said...

I'm from Florida where "everything's a coke", and it's only a soda if you are pressed. Nothing is a "pop". I lived in Florida from 1956 to 1977, and it was after leaving there I realized the rest of the world really talks funny.

In a restaurant in Florida you ask for a "coke", not a "Coke". So they usually tell you what they've got, which god forbid might be a pepsi (yuck!). Then you order an "asssed tea", and forgive me that is the pronunciation of Iced Tea in Florida. I sort of say "eyezedtee". I know what I mean!

Yup, in Florida, everything's a coke. Then you get down to the specifics of whether you want a Sprite or a root beer, or a Coca-Cola.