Monday, September 22, 2008

already a pain!

So I haven't posted in a while because a TON has happened and I wanted to do it all justice with posts, but now it's been too long and if I don't write it now - it's never going to be on here, and then I get in trouble

Wednesday: We met my new doctor, love her! Got some blood taken and then an ultrasound of our little 'lime'. (We tossed our printer/scanner in the moved. It never printed and it only scanned after an hour of messing with it - that's why you don't get to see the picture yet) Baby was kicking and moving all over the place! Came home and unpacked some more!

Thursday: Unpacked, bought shower game prizes... unpacked some more.

Friday: I went back to the doctor's for a screening. Ben wants to be mentally prepared, if there were any problems with the baby, before it's born. So we opted to do the tests, usually they take blood at 12 weeks and then again at 15 and then if some indicator comes up, you can have an amnio done to "know for sure". However my doctor loves another test that they can do as long as you're just before 13 1/2 weeks. I had only a couple days to get in and thankfully it was no problem. They do an ultrasound and measure the thickness of the back of the baby's neck. If it's enlarged and they get indicators on the blood work - then usually that means there's a problem. This method is far better at detecting than the blood work and you eliminate something like 90% of the 'false positives' that lead women to get the amnio when their baby's fine. No big deal, takes 25 minutes, in and out of there! WRONG! Ben was exhausted so I didn't wake him, but now regret that he missed the show. The "little booger" as it was affectionately named by the ultrasound tech would not cooperate! Every time she'd push a little on my tummy with the wand it would throw it's head back, arch it's little back and kick it's feet straight out. It did this over and over (looking just like it was throwing a fit!) She was cracking up and just kept telling me I was in for it! Once it got tired of this little trick, it would flip back and forth putting it's head from the left side of my belly to the right so she'd have to keep chasing it with the wand. Finally for the final trick, it turned around, flashing it's little neck letting us think for a moment we had a good shot at getting the measurement, only to flip upside down and hide it's little head behind my pelvic bone so that we couldn't see it at all with the wand. Now, obviously it has no idea what's it doing or what a pain in the rear it's being for us - but how coincidental! God's preparing me all right - he's warning me now I might have a wild one! Darn Ben! I've heard all these stories about how hard headed he was (still is!) it looks like it's taking after Daddy! I was good, I was hoping it was good enough to even this kid out, but it's not looking like it.
So anyway, I'm virtually upside down on this bed hoping gravity will toss that kid out from under it's rock when the tech apologized but said we had to do the rest of the ultrasound the "other way" if we were going to finish... So she leaves (still laughing) and my first words talking directly to the baby were "You're a poop already!" So we start the internal ultrasound only to have the baby switch right when she gets it on the screen. Without missing a beat she grabbed the belly wand, flipped the switch on the computer to make it work, found it and paused the screen before it could move again. Thankfully it was a good enough shot to get the measurement we needed (she'd tried this several times before and couldn't ever get a clear enough measurement that she was comfortable with). She said she can't tell me anything for sure, but that the size looked "good and very typical"... She thanked me for the entertainment, told me to get my sleep before I could feel it tumbling around in there, and let me go. On my way out I was smiled at by just about every nurse and told good luck... She shared the story while I was getting my blood drawn. When I got home Ben was half awake, I tossed the pictures on the bed and 'yelled' at him, "It's all your fault, the baby's just like you!" {trying not to laugh!}
He thought the story was great!

Saturday was Emily's shower here at the house and then yesterday we spent the day at Emily and Jared's watching football! I love football! (Em and I did break away for a quick trip to the Supermall so I could get a 'belly band'! It's great! I can now leave my top buttons undone on my pants and the band covers them like a little under t-shirt/cami. It made today so much more comfortable being back at work!

There it all is... Now I'm going to bed!

5 comments:

Gramma Carol said...

Hahaha! Wonderful story! You MUST keep this for the baby book!

Here's something for you to ponder: Miranda was like that, too. :-)

Scott, Teresa and Gabby said...

Very fun story (for us of course);)

Great to hear how you are doing and how the little one is progressing.

Chris Kaatz said...

oh my goodness! What an amazing story. I wish I knew about those belly band things when I was pregnant.

Love you lots!

~The White family~ said...

I loved my belly bands...they are also good afterwards too! The little "lime" is just like his/her dad :)

The Holden Family said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! We are so happy for you!