Monday, September 29, 2008

Will the Ring Test finally be wrong?


In my family there is a crazy tradition done during pregnancy by my Grandpa, and previously by his dad. It's typically done when the belly's sticking out a little more, but we tried it on me yesterday when the family came over for Aunt Cindy's birthday. It's called the Ring Test. You take a the wedding ring off of the pregnant one and tie it to  piece of string, preferably sewing thread as it's lighter. Have her lay on the floor and suspend the ring just over the baby, once the string/ring completely stop moving, it's held still.  The ring will eventually start moving again in one of two ways, back and forth - indicating a boy. Or in a circular motion - for a girl. 
I know it sounds crazy, Ben couldn't believe that we were all doing this and totally buying into it - However, Papa is 5 for 5! Tiffany, Jake, myself, Makenna, and Brendan - were all right on! We tried mine twice and both times got the same result. Papa wants to try it again because it took forever to get moving - he thinks my bump isn't big enough - and because he wanted different results. 

According to this - it's going to be a girl.


Ben and I are both okay with whatever we have, just wanting it healthy! Obviously, if one could 'pick' there's usually a preference... If that was the case, we both wanted a boy first - I think me even a little more than him. Ben thinks we're all crazy by even playing along with this ring test notion, but hey - every time it's right we get a little more into it and it's totally for fun so it's not hurting anyone! (I will say though that it only works - as in the ring will only start moving again over the belly - with the pregnant woman's ring... Something about the metal absorbing her energy and then making it move again when close her body? )

Anyway, Ben said he will go to Papa and apologize in person for thinking he was crazy and doubting him if it turns out to be a girl. And then joked (because it's Ben) and he'll burn him at the stake for being a witch. :o)

November 5th we'll know for sure!

3 comments:

Chris Kaatz said...

Yay for GIRLS!!!!

So, I think you should reconsider the name Kara. How cute!!!

~The White family~ said...

Oh, I am on pins and needles waiting!!! I am so excited! It will be interesting if he's right!

Gramma Carol said...

The ring test has never been wrong, to my knowledge. :-)

You will get more proof once you show more. Then you can tell by how baby is carried. Remember your brother? No doubt that was a boy!