Wednesday, November 19, 2008

We finally got it

Yesterday I left work early to take my car in, 3 hours of stop and go commuting a day tends to wear on the breaks. Apparently I need them done every 6 months - last time they worked on the brakes I know they stiffed me a little, I was by myself and didn't understand completely and I think they took advantage of that. This time, thankfully Ben was off and he went in with me. When they called to give the diagnosis I just passed the phone off and I heard him go back and forth a bit and come off with semi good news. We had to get all new stuff, BUT this time they were going to do it right, on both sides, and warranty it... Seriously? This needs to be negotiated? I made the mistake of assuming when they say everything they do is warrantied, that I didn't need to question it - Ben pointed this out to the guy on the phone that he was completely unimpressed that it wasn't done right the last time and we got a serious deal! (Still expensive - but not what it could've been)

While the car was getting fixed Ben and I took Dad's truck down to pick up the baby furniture, grab a late lunch and create a baby registry at good 'ole Babies R US ... There was a woman in there at the registry desk ahead of us, maybe in her mid 30's, looking at the suggested items for new parents list and she looked over and said, "I can't believe someone would get a monitor... I'm never going to leave my baby!" And she was disgusted that someone would register for one!! Ben just looked at her like she was nuts (I think she might have been though, which is the really sad part!) and did the panic, "Oh no don't leave the room!!" ... She continued on with all the safety cabinet locks and protective covers for sockets. She was making a fuss about all these things on the list and then totally confused over what a bouncer was and why you'd need a stroller, "Don't I just carry it?" (the baby) Needless to say I said a little prayer for that baby and we took our scanner and started on the other side of the store! Ben's certain he's going to meet her child in roughly 15 years at work... Assuming it's not smothered in its sleep by the mom that won't go out of ear shot :(

Dad was thankfully around to help unload the furniture at home and though Ben was going to wait to assemble everything until this morning, he changed his mind at 9 last night so we played in the baby's room instead. The dresser was already assembled and the crib was a piece of cake once we got the cats out of the way, they're nosey little punks, but I'd actually like them to hang out in the baby's room with the furniture and get used to it before he comes. That way it's old news and hopefully they won't give a rip about it later. This is what I'm praying anyway, if not my adorable little nursery is going to have to have the door shut all the time to keep the beasts out. I didn't have time to post the couple pictures I took of the process, but I'll get them up later. (except the one of Ben flexing his muscles for the camera - he was very clear that it wouldn't make the blog - but he didn't say I couldn't tell you all about it) :o) It was pretty funny!

Monday night Chelsey and Devin came over for dinner and 'catch up'. The boys were out in the garage looking at Ben's 'toys' in the safe, and Chelsey and I were trying to decide how long it had been since we've actually spoken more than just the 'how are you's?'... Yeah um, like 10 years! We were friends in Jr. high but didn't really have enough in common to keep us close beyond Lakota's walls. We got to talking and have more in common than I think we ever thought, and the boys hit it off well - it turned into a pretty fun little evening.

2 comments:

Rusting away in Washington said...

Way to go Ben on the Car brakes negotiating! And wow that 30 year old mom sounded scary! Can't wait to see your furnature and the room
Waiting to see pictures!

Gramma Carol said...

That weird new mom will either change her mind quickly about how to raise that baby or Ben's right...he'll be meeting the kid in 15 years or so. Hopefully she'll learn.