Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Rapid Deterioration

Yesterday sucked! A few irritations at work, a couple personal things, followed by 2 really big blows sent me into my first little meltdown during this pregnancy. I think I've been incredibly even, hormonally speaking, during this pregnancy and I asked Ben about it last night and he agreed. I haven't picked fights, I haven't been too emotional - if anything I think I'm a little calmer when things come up... Anyway that has not been the case over the last 24 hours!
I'll skip over the crap and get right to the BIG stuff.

I signed up for supplemental short term disability coverage in late 2006, with the idea of using it for a maternity leave eventually. I had my meeting with the agent and we went over the plan I was purchasing and I was told, and specifically verified the amount of time of coverage after labor - I know I was specific, because this is the only reason I wanted it and I knew my leave would be unpaid from work. Yesterday I met with the new rep handling our coverage, as our rep has suddenly disappeared. I do not have the amount of time that I thought... Matter of fact I have much less then I imagined. The insurance doesn't completely cover my normal salary, so I've been saving to make sure that I had enough to supplement that income. Not even that account in it's entirety can cover the time I was planning to take (and I've been so proud at my savings going beyond what I would need for that- this way it could cover the 'unknown' expenses to arise)
My meeting with the new rep was not really helpful, she understood what he did, but couldn't do anything about it... She was actually his regional manager and now he's no longer with the company - she implied that situations such as this were the cause, but couldn't outright say it. So now instead of comfortably taking 12-16 weeks off after Luke comes, I am covered for only 6 (less the first 7 days for their processing time - so really only paid for 5). If I have to go on bed rest or become unable to use the bathroom, feed or dress myself during the pregnancy or delivery - I'm covered up to 6 months. (Good for the worst case scenario, but statistically, and hopefully not the case here) In addition to feeling totally screwed over, the realization of how little he will still be when that sends me back to work is really, really disheartening. I spent most of the drive home trying not to cry, which didn't work. And then I talked to Ben - just his voice asking if I was okay was enough to throw me over the edge. He assured me we'd figure it out, and that everything would be fine. He said because of it being spring/summer there's plenty of overtime to be had - but the last thing I want is him gone every single day of the week. On top of that, the unknown leave time is hard to coordinate now at work, they kind of want specifics but are understanding in that this is all new info and I have no idea yet what we'll really be able to afford...
Leading into issue #2, the new King County contract has eliminated our current insurance. Ben got an email yesterday that I'm not totally sure he wouldn't have ignored for a bit had I not been snuggled up next to him watching his laptop. It gave no plan specifics and said basically we'd know more come January - NOT HELPFUL to a girl who's got OB appointments every 2 weeks starting in January. So then I got all panicked because our out of pocket is more than it used to be, delivery in the new plan isn't covered like our old plan, and I had no idea if I could keep my doctor. We managed to lose quite a bit of money yesterday without much notice or recourse, which didn't help my emotional state much.

Ben calmed me down, we made dinner and I even managed to sleep a little last night. This morning's long drive to work gave me ample time to get emotional again, but made it in without major mascara issues. I didn't get anywhere with the woman at King County benefits, she clearly didn't like her job! Thankfully, I managed to scrounge up a number for the new insurance company and they even had our info in the system already to make sure that on January 1 we'd be covered, he sounded like an older guy and was very helpful. Good news is, I don't have to find a new doctor that can manage to fit me in on short notice (every 2 weeks) and then for a March delivery! AND she's 'in-network' which gives us the highest coverage! Giant weight lifted!!
Now, I just have to keep praying that God will take care of the leave; either making it work for a little bit longer (preferred), or helping me through going back so soon.

6 comments:

Devin and Chelsey said...

WOW Christina, What a crappy couple of days. I just feel so bad for you having to go through 2 things like that in a few days. I'm very proud that you have been so steady in your pregnancy. I've never really heard anything negative from you. Just keep your head up and know that when your baby Luke gets here everything will feel ok!

Anonymous said...

What chels said, and you guys know that both of us will help out with whatever we can for you too!

Scott, Teresa and Gabby said...

We will be praying and you can be assured that God will help you through all of it and clearly He's already providing. He can be trusted!

J Yo said...

Christina,

When Todd and I were pregnant with Hailey, we had NO idea how the money would work...on paper it didn't...but God did it. He stretched our money and made things work. He'll do the same with you and Ben. Trust Him...He's trustworthy. :)

I'm so happy for you and the amazing journey you're in for after little Luke is born.

~Jess

Anonymous said...

Well J Yo sid what I wanted to say. Just remember " I can do all things through Crist Jesus who strenthens me" Aunt Debbie

~The White family~ said...

Don't worry...I'm coming around the mountain on monday to make everything better :)

XOXO